Friday, February 4, 2011

Back to School


After a month out in Cambodia saving the world, it's back to the "reality" of business school (which, in reality, is probably less like reality than Cambodia).

At the start of my last semester, it's finally apparent that this experience is coming to an end. Semesters always begin slowly, so I've had a bit of time to think: what can I do that would be most effective in furthering my goals? Am I pursuing the right goals? I'm pretty confident that the answer to the latter is yes, since I've spent a lot of time questioning myself for the past few years. Now it's just a matter of getting there.

The slow start has also helped with meditation. I spent about an hour a day for 3 days, and felt like I made more progress towards "real" happiness than I did the entire last semester. I really owe most of it to careful reading of this (free) book, which I think is absolutely amazing. It describes what I had been trying to do for the past few years, but in such a clear and concise way that I've been able to turn it into tangible (and energizing) progress. (If you do end up reading it, make sure to take it slow. I've re-read a lot of sections I didn't understand the first time, and it has really paid off).

One closing thought -- lack of sleep definitely hinders progress towards happiness. Get some rest :) (Or pre-order your Lark here! :) )

A ramp into the clouds (on the Charles)